Saturday, October 6, 2007

What I Did and Saw and Thought


What I Did:
*Hiked the Appalachian Trail along the French Broad River up to Lover's Leap for a gorgeous view.
*Soaked in the natural mineral springs hot tubs
*Enjoyed a lovely dinner on a deck overlooking a creek
*Read
*Journaled
*Slept deeply for 9 hours
*Hiked up Max Patch, which one book calls the best views on the entire AT and another calls the best views in NC (photo above doesn't come close to doing it justice).

What I Saw:
*The rocky, wide French Broad River
*Kayakers practicing in said river
*A smattering of bright red and yellow trees amidst the green views
*Couples hiking
*Families hiking
*Friends hiking
*Dogs hiking
*Wildflowers galore: buttery snapdragons, purple clover, goldenrod, milky Queen Ann's lace
*Native grasses
*At least six different kinds of butterflies
*Gargantuan grasshoppers
*Bumblebees
*Wild blackberries
*Cerulean skies
*cottony clouds
*360 degree views of mountains -- as far as the eye could see in every direction!

What I Thought:
*I don't need to wait for the right job, the right relationship, the right boss.
*I need to practice the difficult task of loving with a whole heart here and now.
*Today. Tomorrow. This is it. This is my life. This is not practice, but the real thing.
*And God is calling me to love.

Here is the reading my spiritual director gave me this week, before knowing of my most recent considerations about my job and boss:

I Wonder
by Derek Tasker


I wonder what would happen if
I treated everyone like I was in love
with them, whether I like them or not
and whether they respond or not and no matter
what they say or do to me and even if I see
things in them which are ugly twisted petty
cruel vain deceitful indifferent, just accept
all that and turn my attention to some small
weak tender hidden part and keep my eyes on
that until it shines like a beam of light
like a bonfire I can warm my hands by and trust
it to burn away all the waste which is not
never was my business to meddle with.


Source: Pilgrimage, An Exploration Into God, by Ivor Smith-Cameron

17 comments:

more cows than people said...

wow. thanks.

and that poem- wow. wow. wow.

sounds like a great get-away.

Kirstin said...

Wow.

You give so many gifts.

June Butler said...

LJ, I've been in the vicinity, and it is gorgeous. Your reflection on your time there is lovely.

You're right. Life is right now.

I have my two grandchildren sleeping over tonight, and I failed them by losing my temper with them. Lord, have mercy.

But tomorrow is another day, and I will have another chance to love.

lauraj said...

Children will do that to you, Mimi.
I lost my temper with my boss on Thursday.
Always another chance for loving more.

Lauralew said...

Thank you. I wish I would have read this before I went to church and became impatient with another member of the altar party, who did not seem to be taking the procedings seriously.

Always another chance to love.

Maybe to treat people like you would treat the Christ within each of us.

pj said...

Welcome back, sweetie. There's nothing like looking at the world from up in the mountains to change one's perspective.

I love that poem. I may have to print it and stick it on the refrigerator.

Just one question: who is this French broad you keep talking about? (Thank you! I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your wait-person.)

Jan said...

Lovely, lovely. Your time away was beautiful, energizing, and profound, I think. Thank you for the poem, too. It's new to me, and I love it.

Diane M. Roth said...

As Kirsten said, Wow. Your sights, your thoughts, poem... the immediacy... really breathtaking. And wise.

Thank you.

I love beautiful places.

Jane R said...

Lovely! Reminds me of last May, when I hiked up to Max Patch, and makes me anticipate the week after next, when I will be in that exact neck of the woods again and will soak in those tubs too! Thanks for a beautiful summary and for the poem!

I'm so glad you are feeling refreshed.

Magdalene6127 said...

Sounds like heaven. I'm glad you had that time.

Carol Howard Merritt said...

What a wonderful place to be--internally and externally.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

LJ---I'm late to the party, but thanks for this! What a beautiful, and gentle, reminder to look for the Christ in others....

Anonymous said...

This is really lovely. (Also the poem at the end--perfect!) Just found your blog, and I love it.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

((((LJ)))

It sounds like it was soul rejuvenating. Glad you got the chance for that, and thanks for that reminder. I've been thinking it alot in terms of my marriage recently.

lauraj said...

Welcome, all! Nice to have so many great bloggers stopping by. Thanks, everyone.

Terri said...

Love this reflection and the poem. thank you.

Anonymous said...

I could feel it too -- the way you wrote it. Thanks for a little slice.