Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Political Choices: Discuss


OK, my left-leaning friends of the blogosphere. It is still 14 months before we elect a president, but the early primaries make the Democratic election only 6 months away. The mainstream media narrowed the field to two months ago. But I'm not buying it. What if this election really was turned by the grassroots, the internet generation, a nation full of people tired of sound-bytes and caricatured candidates?

Personally, I've gone from falling in love with Barack, to backing Bill Richardson, to giving Dennis Kucinich a good look, to even reconsidering Hillary (if only because we'd get Bill back into the mix and because my son thought it would be "amazing" to have a woman president). I'm still undecided. What about you? If you could vote next week for the person you genuinely wish could be president, not the person you assume is most electable (that was the cry that brought us John Kerry, lest we forget) who would it be?

Discuss. (If there are right-leaning readers of this blog, I'd love to hear from you as well!)

14 comments:

pj said...

In the 2004 primary I voted for Kucinich, knowing full well he didn't stand a chance. I might do it again.

I actually like John Edwards too, believe it or not. He's a little more outspoken this time around, not as coached.

Kucinich is the only one who thoroughly supports gay marriage though.

I'm tired of Obama and Clinton. Bleh.

lauraj said...

Might isn't good enough. Pull the lever, PJ. Who's it gonna be?

June Butler said...

Kucinich first. He's a man after my own heart. I know he doesn't have a chance, but I've always had a soft spot for lost causes.

FWIW, I think Hillary and Obama are looking more Republican-lite each day that passes.

Edwards would be my second choice.

Cecilia said...

I am leaning Edwards. He is seriously knowledgeable and committed to eradicating the "two Americas."

But it would be cool to have a woman or a person of African descent.

Pax, C.

Carol Howard Merritt said...

Cecilia, you have a point. I mean, I don't agree with Hillary or Obama on a lot of things. But, I've longed for a woman president... And she's qualified and smart.

Of course she supported the war, and she sided with the banks on bankruptcy laws, and...well, she's often disappointing.

But, if I voted next week, it would be for Clinton.

johnieb said...

Edwards, then Clinton. Obama'd be a good V-P.

Diane M. Roth said...

Right now Edwards, I think. But this might change. (but I'm pulling the lever today, right?)

lauraj said...

Looks like Edwards is in the lead with 3 votes,
Kucinich in 2nd place with 2,
Clinton with 1.

I'll pull the lever for Dennis and make the first place a tie.

Nauraushaun Church said...

I'm pulling my lever for Clinton. I didn't at the beginning, but after watching her on the CNN-Sojourners forum and hearing some of her remarks at the Howard University debate, I have to admit that she has won me over. I'm thinking that almost all of the rest of the candidates would make a good cabinet, and I want to create a Secretary of Peace and nominate Kucinich.
Or am I too late to vote?

lauraj said...

Never too late to vote, Rev. Laura! ooo, I keep forgetting to check your re/newed blog. Thanks for stopping by and reminding me!

So Clinton is up to 2 votes.

But I love the challenge offered here: Let's put the cabinet together while we're at it!

Anonymous said...

I'm way to late to vote, but I'm still in-like with Obama. Not in love really. But definite "like." I can't vote for Hillary if for no other reason that she is so divisive. A new president with 40-50 % of the people against her - often vehemently is not good. Edwards sounds good. Feels slimy though.

episcopalifem said...

I can't stand Hillary - she just sets me on edge - no way I'd vote for her.

I was liking Obama, and Edwards.

At this point, I'd have to say Dennis though is looking better to me.

Kelly said...

Obama still has my vote, but I will certainly support Clinton if she gets the nomination.

lauraj said...

Kelly, Welcome! Nice to have you here.